Monday, March 26, 2007

Greetings from Isabella



Hello everyone,

This is a first for me, a cyber introduction to extended family but since time and distance are real limitations, here it goes:

My name is Martha Isabella and I am 45 years old, since becoming Kerbey’s wife, I have legally changed my name and use Isabella as my first name. I did not want to go through life as “Martha Stewart.” I am part Argentine (father) and part Peruvian (mother), I was born in Lima but my family is in Buenos Aires ( and some in Switzerland and England), and I have a full blooded Inca descendant grandparent and a Rumanian one. I also have Basque grandparents on both sides of the family (Spanish and French), so I am what you would call here in the U.S., a full fledged mutt.

I went to catholic girl’s school (boarding school sometimes) all my life which goes to show that you can take the girl out of the Catholic school but cannot take the Catholic school out of the girl, because today I am sort of old fashioned and conservative given society’s standard of living these days. I have lived in many different countries while growing up, my father was a journalist and college professor but he passed away while I was still very young. My mother is alive and doing well at age 71.

I have one daughter who is 22 and her name is Ashley. Being her mother and watching her grow up gave me the greatest joy imaginable and made me a better human being. She’s a great dancer, writer (like my father) and loves working with children (for years she would ask for siblings for Christmas so she’d have little ones around to love- now with all my new blessings of grandchildren, her dream is finally coming true for both of us.) She is an amazing young woman, very caring, intelligent and funny and as I tell her often, “when I grow up, I want to be just like her.” She also went to catholic schools all her life and she graduated last May from Notre Dame University with a dual degree, and it is now working in downtown Chicago for an international firm. Fortunately for me, Chicago is also my home office. I work out of my home as a Regional Sales Manager for a health insurance Co. but get to go to the windy about three times per year for work and I get to visit with her, she also comes home for the holidays, so we still see each other often.

I also have a 17 year old God-daughter. Recently we survived the dinner and sleep over party celebrating her 17th b-day and I think Kerbey and I finally feel asleep exhausted about 2:30 am but they were still going strong giggling and telling stories until very late, conversing with them was a joyful experience for both of us. Her name is Maria del Sol (Mary of the sun) and aptly named for her joy and good-heart is apparent to every one who meets her.

My step daughter whom you all know, Mariah and I met not long after Kerbey and I began to date, when she was ten, she is 13 now and our getting to know and love each other is a precious gift. We enjoy each other’s company and she accompanies Kerbey and I to church on Sundays when she is with us and enjoys singing the hymns. All three of us like to watch movies together, go out for hikes, brunch after Mass, or go swimming, something she is very good at, especially the breast stroke.

Last year I became a mentor and I have been blessed to have two little girls, Chyna and Michelle (nine and eight respectively). Often when I leave their presence, I am in awe of how much I get from them and I wonder who is mentoring whom here. Isn’t it wonderful how God works?

I have been in the insurance industry for almost 17 years and I am also a continuing education and Ethics instructor for the industry that I work in. What I like to do most is spend time with Kerbey. It does not matter to me what we are doing, I enjoy his company and we laugh about how time does not apply to us in the same way it does to the rest of the world, we sit down intending to chat for just a few minutes and before we know it, three or four hours have gone by. I look forward to growing old with him and getting to know him through innumerable more tertulias (tertulia is a Spanish word that means ‘the art of long conversations’). I also like to read, write (currently I am working on two novels), paint (watercolors and charcoals), dance (especially the tango), and be outdoors sitting at outdoor cafés or riding my motor scooter through quiet neighborhoods. Have I mentioned I am very energetic? :o) I love the water and warm weather and do not do well in cold climates (there was no accident in the fact I was born so close to the equator :o).

Ok, so there is my life in a few paragraphs, I’ll include some photos if I can figure out how to do it, and if you feel like chatting, please feel free to email me at
TangoAlphaLima@aol.com I look forward to meeting you and getting to know you all in the future, but given that you are such a large family, I think it will take a while, maybe something like a family reunion huh? I can’t wait!

Blessings,

Isabella

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the time to introduce yourself. Now that you have Dad's kids' families all worked out, do you think you're ready for his siblings and their kids and their kids? There are 20 in Cathy's clan (including babies due this year), 18 in DeeAnn's, 19 in Dad's (counting you) and 4 in Parry's bringing your total to: 62 with Grandma. You're almost a third of the way there (and sadly, the less entertaining of the lot. you need to go to Utah for a visit).

Anonymous said...

ps. i really hope i did the math right...

Anonymous said...

Isabella,
Thanks for blogging.
I know it must seem a bit overwhelming getting to know who is who in this clan but it will be easy especially if you see pictures.
Cathy's family all look pretty much a like as do mine (so far anyway).Kerbey has always thought Mariah resembled me and my girls, though it sounds like not in height. Sounds like you keep busy.
Once Ashley has children your trips to see her will increase I am sure.
Take care

Jesse said...

Welcome to the family a year later, or more. I can't remember. Sounds like we have a lot in common, other than the all girl catholic school part.

Jesse

Anonymous said...

jesse,
you're pretty funny. you'd have made a very unattractive catholic school girl. I know, because I actually pictured it.
angel is here right now. it has been so much fun to see him again. isabella would do well to go down to quito to play with the kids awhile. she'd do well at girls house, wouldn't she?
Isabella, you and dad ought to consider taking Ashley and Mariah to Mexico this Christmas if you can swing it. You're a good candidate for this type of service and you'd really have a blast.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

ps. the anonymous comment was from DeeAnn, I think.

Anonymous said...

I've been writing for a week and I have no idea where it is going or who is reading it. This is Cathy the other aunt (or sister) that nobody ever hears from (for someone who has a lot to say this is hard to believe just ask my kids) It was great to hear from you and to learn more about you. I know you have been officially welcomed to the family by mom (Dawna) but this is the first time we have connected besides the Christmas card ( I hope I sent it). We here in Payson are a little envious of the continental lives of the Texas Stewarts. I am impressed with your successes and your patience (I know my brother well) He is a great guy but he does like to talk a lot and he like my father has all the answers. Which is why they probably could agree very little on most topics. I LOVE 'Em both very much. That is why I can say that. Me on the other, well I do have most of the answers but no one really wants to hear them. Even though I am in the old wise learned experienced stage of life. Soon I will post a picture it will probably take a week or so at least it took that long to figure this much out!
Love,
Cathy