Sunday, March 25, 2007

quiet moments and popsicles in sacramento


Will my first entry set the tone for this site? I hope not. Thats a lot of pressure. You should write whatever and however you'd like. In the meantime, I hope you'll respond to this blog (and others) if you feel the urge.

Firstly, I'll say that all is going very well for us in Sacramento. We like it here very much, although the silly cost of living and the distance from family makes settling here permanently out of the question. Sacramento has been a good landing spot and I have appreciated that these past few years have been quiet and relatively uneventful. As I was telling my dad recently, it is good to have downtime. While there is always much to be discovered from adventure and excitement, there is also much to be gained in quiet moments - you can take the time to breathe deeply and notice things you wouldn't otherwise notice if you were running from one endeavor to another. Breathing deeply also helps you think more thoroughly about subjects worth pondering, and that has become pretty important to me of late. A priority, I'd say.

Slade still works for Accenture on a project for the State of California. He is building a complicated computer system to track, collect and redistribute child support. Its a big deal out here and often keeps him working late into the night. I try not to complain too often because really, I am very grateful he has a good job, and one that he enjoys quite a lot. And of course, I am so glad he isn't traveling so much anymore. He stays quite busy between work, family, his church calling with the youth and I think he often wishes he had more time to exercise or read or hang out with his friends. Still, he is happy and well. I know this because he sings all the time and still laughs at my jokes, even when they aren't very funny.

Pregnancy is going smoothly. I'm sitting at 20 weeks as I write this and we think we'll find out the gender of baby this time. It takes us so long to decide on a name, its probably in our best interest to get an early start. So far, we're not doing so well, namewise. Its Slade's fault. He is being very difficult and shoots down every one I suggest. EVERY one. I've actually suggested he take a trip to Mexico during the first two weeks of August. If he did, I guarantee I'd leave the hospital with a baby who had a name. That would be a first for us. If you have any great name ideas, send them on our way. Be advised though: we might just use one.

Our kids are great. Maren (firmly 2) is the queen of whine but also the queen of kisses (balances out fairly well). She is a strong little thing, perhaps a little more aggressive than we expected a little girl to be. Her laugh is delectable and her independence endearing. Ethan (5) is my non-stop talker. I literally have to request reprieves from his constant chatter. He is still the friendliest and most engaging little boy and informs me several times a day that he loves me.

Parenthood. Wow. Interesting business sometimes. Its astounding how much I learn about myself through my kids. I recently heard from a good friend who was discussing all the things she found herself allowing her children - things she swore she would never do... She mentioned chocolate syrup over cereal. I can relate, though not so much to chocolate syrup. Her parents' advice to raising kids who wouldn't rebel in their later years: Say yes as often as you can. I think its good advice. With only two small children, who are still relatively controllable, my battles are not grand and I usually know who will win before they ever escalate. I am wary of how that will change as they become older and somewhat afraid.

For now, battles I win are: nutrition and politeness. Things I say yes to: popsicles, too many Disney movies and warm towels and underwear after baths.

What do you, or have you, said yes to???

Jennifer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen. Nice blog site! You must tell me the moment you know what you're having, although you're certain it's a girl, right?
I go in tomorrow to be induced afterall, the 28th. We have been so ill lately, I'm glad to get some time to myself in the hospital. They will let me stay 3 nights!! And I'm going to take it, all the boys (Michael included) are ill.
Talk to you later, wish me luck.
Stephanie

Texas Stewarts said...

I say yes to whip cream on waffles.
cassie

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for making this effort. I'll just write in comments until I figure out how to post. Isn't that silly. Becareful with too many yeses, this coming from one who teaches 20 seven year olds everyday. It is easy to spot the ones that have rarely been told "no" Don't be afraid to hold your ground it is OK to say no.Say yes to the innocent comforts PRAISE Their many good choices and make many opportunities between two good choices (So you'll be happy with both) They will like your pleasure at their good choice. And will always want your approval if your happiness is their happiness. (and that is how it works, those who love each other do most anything to make the other one happy) But you already knew that:)
Love Ya,
Cathy