Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Snowbird



While I’m thinking about it now might be a good time to mention Snowbird. Grandma has talked of selling the Snowbird condo. Without grandpa she has little interest in going up there these days. We have talked her into letting the family cover the annual maintenance fee. Patty and I covered it and as a result used the week. What I have in mind, and let me know what you think; is to open this up to the family. This could be done several ways. To not bother grandma with the fees and such, I thought I would pay the fee each year as it comes due in June, when most of us are not thinking about skiing.
If there are families who would like to use this time they could pay it too. It’s just a matter of making out a check to Snowbird. If you decided that you would like to come out to ski or just hang out you would pay me back what I paid. If you felt that your family couldn’t use the entire week you could split it with a sibling, or another family member, or just pay for the nights you used. The room isn’t that big so it would be hard to have more than one family there at a time to spend the night, but it can be done. During the day it’s plenty big to be in and out of as a place to warm up while skiing. I can’t remember the total price for the room, but it’s around $400 for the week. It’s always the second week in January so it’s easy to plan around.

Also, if I know early in the season (September) that you will be here to ski any time during the winter I can purchase Snowbird lift tickets in advance for half price, saves you about $32 per ticket. Also Snowbird has a great hill for kids to learn on that is free. This is the hill that most of the Burtons and Sorensons learned to ski on under Cathy’s and Grandma’s close supervision.

Before grandpa died he was looking for a place in the mountains for us to spend time as a family. Snowbird was a place he loved, and many of us have fond memories of him and grandma there teaching us to ski. Now we can pass that on to our kids thanks to his legacy.

I’m very open for comments. I think that this is something that should be shared by all the family. Not just me or the other family who live close.

Jesse

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Jesse, we hope to be able to use the condo eventually, although we won't be able to for the next several years. I want to take my kids to snowbird and help make some of the same memories we did. Thanks for talking grandma into hanging on to the place.