Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Derby Hat



Jen- The Derby and Oaks races are known for The Hat. most women wear a hat and unless you are doing a picnic on the in field. So i spent about 3 weeks looking for a hat. I think i went to every hat store with in a hour of my house. i found some really cute hat but could not bare to pay for any of them. most derby hats average around 300.oo and some people spend 1500 to 2000 on a hat! ridiculas i think. so, 3 days before the event i still had no hat! then an kentucky native told me to try a craft store named Dees. i went and found my hat and spent about a half hour with their hat experts who showed me ideas and how to put them together. if i would have had them put my hat together it would have cost me about 150.00. so i got my hat and the materials i needed and went home thursday night and made my own hat for about 42.00. i will admit i think i did a pretty good job and had a lot of compliments. my friends and are thinking maybe we should go into the derby hat business! well, here are a couple photos from the event. my harddrive went out but kris was able to recover the photos. the ones i posted yesterday i had from my sister! lesson to all is to back up your hard drive often! got to go move the sprinkler! -crystal

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I am very impressed that you made your own hat, it is so cute. Sound like you guys had a great time!

Anonymous said...

I too think you did a great job and it sure sounded like it was quite the experience. It's that Morman gene you have that makes you so creative!

Anonymous said...

What a great experience! Just like on "My Fair Lady" where everyone wears the pretty hats at the horse races. I love hats and yours looks like a prize. What a handsome couple you make. You look like a regular executive Kris.
So happy for you guys to be in your new job and seemingly doing so well. Grandma