Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Kentucky Derby





The past couple weeks here in kentucky have been nothing but horse races and fun. we were surprised how everything pretty much revolves around the big Derby race and all the events that go along with it. They start 2 weeks before the race with a big air show and fire work festival on the waterfront. we took the kids to this and they had a great time with all the music and planes. it's been a while since i have seen an air show and i was very impressed with the planes and the amazing acts. camille got the biggest kick out of it. when the fighter jet zoomed by her eyes about popped out of her head. i thought she would be scared because it was soo soo loud! instead she scrouched down like a football player, squinted her eyes in the direction the jet went and said, "mama, i'm going to go get it". then she took off down the waterfront in a full sprint. i guess she thought the plane landed in the field since it flew out of site. she spent the entire 3 hours dancing and pointing at all the planes.

I think there were 2 or 3 different derby related events every day for 2 weeks until last weekend's Derby race. I went to Churchhill downs with my sisters and camille and carina and enjoyed learning about the history of horse racing here in kentucky. I needed to educate myself since Kris and I would be attending the Oaks race with work clients. You always her about Derby attracting the movie stars, etc. So my sister and I see a guy walk in and everyone starts taking photos with him and we are trying to see what all the fuss is about. he walks toward the tunnel we were in and we both look at each other and have no clue who he is. so, for fun we walk up and ask to have a photo with him. so here is our famous person photo! after we took the photo my dad told us is the guy from Kiss with a reality show. guess, we should have stuck out our tongues or something!

Kris and I enjoyed the Oaks Race we attended with his work clients. The Oaks takes place friday before the big Derby race. The oaks is the when the fillies race for the lillies. and the derby is the race for the roses. I guess i need to preface this by describing Kris's job here in Kentucky. He works as an account manager for Cisco and his account here is the State of Kentucky. We did not know coming here would pull us into politics! Kris has his own lobbyist and goes to many meeting in Capitol. Cisco sent Kris paper work and since he "seeks to influence public officials" he is now also a Executive Lobbyist. i laughed and asked if he can put that on his resume now! well, he's been pretty busy since we have been here and i'm was impressed with what he has accomplished in 3 months. So for the Oaks, we actually got to sit the on the 6th floor balcony of Millionares row. bascially, the best seats at Churchill downs. We were one table away from the Governor of Kentucky. I have to admitt i was a bit nervous being sourrounded by so many politicians. We spent the entire day being introduced to people and what they call "walking the room". We got our photo with governor Fletcher and had fun feeling like important people for a day. Most of the room cleared out by 5pm since they were all going to the governors ball that evening. Kris and I enjoyed the next hour on our own and enjoying the moment as we may never be able to sit up in that balcony room again! We watched the last race and after 8 hours in high heels, i thought i was going to cry walking out! i don't know how women can wear those things all day long! wow! i finally took of the heels and went barefoot. i'm sure i looked silly in a dress and hat, running barefoot in the rain! oh, and at the Derby races it's all about the hat. i will post a photo and have to write another blog about, -the hat! silly but fun.

grandma, i wil try to post more often. and the only thing i can think to pray for is that family comes to visit us soon. i enjoyed the last month with my parents and sisters but we miss all the stewarts! hope to see anybody soon! crystal

oh, andrea we loved the recipe. i made it with my sisters and it was great because the kids all gobbled it up too~ thanks and post some more. my easy out dinner is to make a salad and a kiesch. -crystal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Derby sounds like so much fun! I loved the story of the air show. Tell kris and the kids hi for me.
Jesse

Anonymous said...

i guess i didn't recognize the kiss guy because of the lack of makeup. he is a big dude. makes you and jessica seem really abnormally tiny. great picture. and love the hat. how did you swing it?
jen

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you and Kris. Do yo, any of you think i can copy the pictures off this site or do I need you to send the ones you have on here to my e-mail so I can copy them into a file?
please anyone comment. Sounds like Kriss is really learning to rub shoulders with the big guys.I must admit he has the looks for it and probably the finese. I have to say I really envy you guys getting to be in that most famous place.l Hope I get to when I get home and come to visit. Grandma